Thursday 20 June 2013

Well, as I had feared, the Blue Toon is toast. John said that the hull can be saved, but it will need a lot of work. He had told me when we started this project that this hull didn't really suit itself well to a full-frame build, but he wanted to go ahead anyway so he could teach me the technique.

So, the hull is twisted, and could conceivably be saved, but the faster solution is to start again, but using plywood bulkheads rather than by building frames. The work will be faster and it won't warp. Tomorrow I'll make copies of the hull lines, and start cutting out the templates for the bulkheads, which I can start working on this weekend using some 1/8" plywood that I have in the basement.

In MTB news, the hull painting is finished. There was just a very small amount of bleeding of the light gray paint onto the black of the lower hull, so that will be easy to touch up. Portholes are installed, and now it's time to get back to work on the wheelhouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment