Monday 10 June 2013

I'm still alive

Whoa, a full month since my last post. I've been doing some business travel lately, so not much time to sit and post.

Not much time for model work either, so here's all that's happened in the last month:

The status of Blue Toon remains up in the air. The frame warped, and my friend John had to do some travelling as well, and since the frame is locked in his workshop, I haven't seen it in a while. Did it straighten out after being clamped back to its correct position? I'll find out tomorrow night;

I've done a bit more work on the MTB. I've started construction of the wheelhouse, and have finished the hull. The hull has now been fibreglassed, plus I've put another coat of epoxy on top of the fibreglass to smooth things out a bit. This week I plan to sand off any high spots and throw on a coat of primer, which will highlight any defects. Depending on what things look like, I'll either put on yet another thin coat of epoxy to make things smoother, or if it's just a spot here and there, I'll break out the Bondo to smooth things up.

All the running gear for the MTB has been ordered. I have the motors already (a couple 550s), and the props, shafts, motor mounts, and couplings are all winging their way here from Cornwall Model Boats in the UK. I'm hoping it all arrives this week so I can get started on installing the running gear. Once that's done, I'll head to my Friendly Local Hobby Shop and purchase the battery pack, receiver, and servos. My club has an event on July 1, and I know I won't have the boat finished by then, but I'd like to have something I can put in the water and drive around. It might simply be a hull, completely devoid of wheelhouse etc., but being able to get it in the water will let me suss out any problems that might exist with the running gear, and I can make certain that the hull is watertight.

No comments:

Post a Comment