Tuesday 18 June 2013

Supplies

I took a couple hours off work this morning so I could go to the local hobby shop. I picked up a few supplies for the MTB:

- a piece of flat brass, 1/4" wide, to make P-brackets for the prop shafts;
- a package of 1/16" brass rod, for all kinds of things;
- some 5/8" brass tube, for torpedo tubes;
- some 3/32" tube to make stanchions;
- assorted other crap to make other stuff.

We are very lucky here in Halifax to have an excellent hobby shop - Maritime Hobbies and Crafts - owned by two guys who do a lot of scratch-building. Because they scratch-build, they put a lot of effort into making sure their store is stocked with everything you might want for your projects. If they weren't here I'm sure I'd be placing a lot more online orders than I do now.

What they're less good at, which is why I place orders with Cornwall Model Boats, is stocking such things as props, shafts, motors, couplings etc. The R/C model ship community here is fairly small, and I think it's largely the model railroad community that drives the need for scratch-building supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment