Monday 22 April 2013

Weekend work:

Not an awful lot of work got done this weekend. Here's a summary:

On Blue Toon: I did some more work, lofting the frames. No sense it posting a picture of that as you'd never be able to spot the difference from last time;

On Bluenose: On this project that my wife will start, I've traced the bulkheads onto some 3mm plywood. The real Bluenose has something like 68 frames. This model has about a dozen bulkheads. I'm thankful for that;

On RCNS Whistler: I don't know where Traplet got the RCNS bit. It should be HMCS, and since it's a Restigouche-class model, we've decided that it will be re-named HMCS Terra Nova, since that ship has a history here, and I've seen it myself here in Halifax. This is a very simple off-scale model with a flat-bottomed hull and very little topside detail. Yesterday, I cut out the bulkheads (five of them) and the transom, as I don't want my son using the razor saw and X-Acto knife. Then, I cut some 1/4" strips out of a piece of 1/4" sheet balsa, to be used as stringers. We'll begin construction after work/school today, and this time he'll be doing all the work. Pictures when we've made some progress;

Another of my kids has a model of a Viking boat that he got for Christmas, and when he saw me working with his brother on the Terra Nova, he suddenly decided the Viking boat needs to be built right now, and asked me to help. The wood for this boat is absolutely horrible, so a good deal of labour was expended for little progress, but I'll post a picture of it later on;

On everything else, I got nothing done.

Oh, and on Sunday afternoon I was asked "Dad, when are you going to build the N-scale train set for us?"

The fun never ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment