Saturday 20 April 2013

So, now I've got even more projects on the go.

A bit over 20 years ago, my wife (this was long before we met) decided she wanted to build a model of the Bluenose. She bought herself a kit, built the hull, then Real Life interrupted and the model got set aside. I recently mentioned to my modelling friend John that this Bluenose hull was sitting around in my basement, and he asked me to bring it over. This afternoon, I dropped by John's house with the whole family in tow so John could look at the hull. Long story short, the hull is shot. It's been sitting for so long that the planks on the hull - which weren't properly fastened because the hull wasn't finished - have come loose, and repair is too difficult. John's advise was to start anew, so to that end, he gave us some templates to use to make new frames and a keel. My wife has said she'd be interested in building the model, but not alone. She wants me to help.

Also, my youngest son, who is 8, said he'd like to help build the model, but shortly afterwards said he'd like to work on something easier first. So, I went through my stock of plans at home and found the plans for RNCS Whistler, a semi-scale Restigouche-class destroyer model from Traplet. Info can be seen here:

http://www.trapletshop.com/gb/p/12247/rcns-whistler

Before supper today, I ran down to my local hobby shop and bought a good supply of balsa to start building the Whistler, which we'll start in a couple days after I have a chance to copy the plans so we can cut out the frame patterns.

So in addition to all the kits I have on the go myself, I now have two more to help with. Great fun, but I have to wonder if I'm ever going to get anything finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment