Friday 8 March 2013

This blog will document my efforts to work on a number of model projects, in the face of several handicaps, namely:

- I work full time and occasionally have to travel for work;
- I have four kids, two of whom play hockey;
- my wife is a shiftworker, so I'm often left home alone with the kids. The kids are my priority, so kid time negates modelling time;
- I have a terrible time concentrating on some things, including modelling. This means slow progress;
- I don't know if it's a related problem, but I have a hard time finishing projects. I love starting them, but I have trouble finishing them. I have trouble finishing most things to be honest, but I've got four kids, so I can sometimes finish what I started.

You can expect me to jump from project to project to project. It might be maddening. Take comfort in the fact that I find my inability to concentrate on one project quite maddening too. But I shall keep trying.

Posts will be irregular. I might post daily for a couple weeks, then not at all for a couple months. Depends on how I feel and how successful I am at maintaining my focus.

So, in the spirit of full disclosure, here are the kits I have in progress at the moment, all in various stages of completion:

- a scratchbuild of the Peterhead (Scotland) pilot boat, Blue Toon;
- a Dumas kit of a USCG 44-footer lifeboat. This will be done in CCG colours;
- a Midwest kit of a USCG 47-footer lifeboat, which will also be done in CCG colours;
- a scratchbuild of a Thames River workboat, Jane Burnyeat;
- a Billing kit of the tug Banckert;
- a Bear Mountain kit of a canoe.

I have two other kits that might be tossed in here, namely a Dumas kit of the tug Carol Moran. This one will be taken to my cottage this summer where I'll begin work. Also, a Billing kit of the St. Roch. I plan on trying to copy the keel and bulkheads of this onto paper, in order to make a proper keel and set of frames. If successful, I'll continue with a scratch build of the vessel using the kit as a guide.

As you might have guessed, I have a strong interest in smaller vessels, such as tugs, lifeboats, and workboats.

No comments:

Post a Comment