Friday 15 March 2013

Balsa. Did I mention in my last post that I had problems with balsa? Well, it happened again.

On the MTB 379 model, the top stringer is put on in two pieces. A 1/8" x 1/4" stringer is put on, then another layered on top of it to give a 1/4" square stringer. Yesterday I put on the first upper stringer on each side, glued from the stern to frame 3. Forward of frame 3 the stringer takes a bend to frame 2, more of a bend from frame 2 to frame 1, and a big bend from frame 1 to the bow. I test fitted the stringers numerous times and the 1/8" balsa had no problem with the bend.

So, today, I put glue at frames 2 and 1, bent the balsa strip into place, and it snapped at frame 2, sigh. I pinned it at frame 2, took off the broken piece, and went to work on the other side. That piece snapped at frame 1, aaargh! Did I mention I don't like balsa?

Okay, time for the contingency plan. One of the options for this model is to do away with the stringer from frame 1 to the bow and replace it with a solid block of balsa sanded to shape. The bow structure is a bit flimsy using just the stringers, so I'm going to opt for the balsa block, which I'll pick up at my FLHS tomorrow. So for the starboard side stringer, no worries as it now ends at frame 1. On the port side, I've glued in an extra piece along the top of  frame 2 to help support the stringer at that spot, and did likewise on the other side just because. Tomorrow I'll replace the section on the port side that broke ahead of frame 2. Since these are the first of two stringers, I'm not too worried because the second stringer put on top will allow me to retain the curved shape of the bow past frame 2 and up to frame 1. There will likely be a small gap between the two stringers between frames 2 and 1, which I can fill with an appropriate filler.

I also have to do the same thing down below with the chine stringers, so while I'm at the FLHS, I might just pick up some sheets of basswood, and do the chine stringers with basswood strips in lieu of balsa.


No comments:

Post a Comment